Tour de France News for June 18, 2003
Edited by John Stevenson & Jeff Jones
Vinokourov looking towards the Tour
Photo: © AFP
 |
Tour de Suisse stage
1 winner and overall leader Alexandre Vinokourov says that he is not
interested in the overall victory in this race, despite having a very
realistic chance at it. "I've already achieved what I came for: a stage
victory will do, I don't care a lot about the leader's jersey," he was
quoted in Het Laatste Nieuws. "I'm not going to make the same mistake
as last year. I won the third stage but the next day I crashed on the
descent of the Sustenpass and the Tour was gone. My own fault, I had taken
too many risks. I can't afford that now."
"For the first time I'm going to ride the Tour as a classement rider.
To be on the podium would be great, together with Armstrong and Ullrich,
I suppose. Jan is the only one who can disturb Armstrong - for me he is
one of the big favourites for the Tour win. Give him another week in Switzerland
and he will be ready for the duel."
Vinokourov set his tactics yesterday as the peloton hit the finishing
circuit. "After the first time across the finish line I already knew it
wouldn't be won among the sprinters, and my explosive power on the climb
would give me a chance."
Ullrich happy so far
After the first road stage of the Tour de Suisse, Jan Ullrich (Team Bianchi)
was satisfied with his result, which saw him finish 15th and move up from
13th to 8th on the general classification. The Bianchi captain described
it as a "very tough stage" due to the 30 plus degree heat. "But it wasn't
really a problem," he added. "In one of the mountain stages or in the
time trial I want to show myself in front."
Ullrich didn't have the most auspicious of starts to the Tour de Suisse,
cutting his thumb with a knife when trying to put another hole in his
helmet strap. The injury required three stitches, however Ullrich was
still able to finish the prologue in 13th place.
Crucial stage for Aerts
Today's mountain
stage in the Volta a Catalunya will be crucial for determining Mario
Aerts' participation in the Tour de France. Telekom has four riders certain
for the Tour at the moment: Santiago Botero, Paolo Savoldelli, Alexandre
Vinokourov and Erik Zabel. The remaining five will likely be chosen from
Daniele Nardello, Rolf Aldag, Giuseppe Guerini, Matthias Kessler, Bobby
Julich, Andreas Kl�den, Gian Matteo Fagnini and Mario Aerts.
"My condition now is the same as 12 months ago," Aerts told Het Laatste
Nieuws. "Also last year I improved in Catalonia after a weak Bicicleta
Vasca, and I reached my traditional peak in the last week of the Tour
de France. The only difference was that with Lotto I knew already before
the start of the season I would ride the Tour. I don't even know with
whom I'm lying in the balance with. So far I haven't even got a small
signal. I suppose they want to keep everybody 'warm'. Walter Godefroot
said: 'Do the best you can, try to get stronger every day and then everything
will be alright.' So I know what to do."
"The fate is not in my own hands anymore. The pressure is getting higher
and higher, and there are nicer circumstances to race under," added Aerts.
"But I accept the challenge. The list of pretenders motivates me: all
strong riders. I was one of the best climbers in last year's Tour but
I 'm afraid they have forgotten that. If I am selected, I won't have stolen
my selection."
Cipo's team threatens legal action
Mario Cipollini's Domina Vacanze team has appealed to the UCI over its
exclusion from the Tour de France, and is threatening to take legal action
against Tour organizer ASO if the appeal is unsuccessful.
According to a statement from the team, Domina Vacanze believes that
ASO has not followed UCI rules in choosing the teams for this year's Tour.
Team spokesman Gilberto Petrucci was quoted by the reuters news agency
as saying, "We have decided to appeal to the UCI because the organisers
of the Tour de France did not follow rule 2.6.003 regarding the 'sporting
logic' for the selection of the teams for the Tour de France because they
invited several teams which were lower than the Domina Vacanze team in
the UCI rankings."
"They also did not respect the UCI principal of equality amongst UCI
members by selecting a French team ahead of an Italian team.
"We hope the UCI will accept that we are right and give us a place in
the Tour de France, otherwise we will consider taking legal action against
the race organisers in France."
However, it's not the first time ASO has been threatened with legal action
by an excluded team. Last year Saeco
threatened to take ASO to court when ASO withdrew Saeco's Tour invitation
in the wake of Gilberto Simoni's positive tests for cocaine (later explained
as the results of eating contaminated Colombian candies).
Previous News Next News
(All rights reserved/Copyright Knapp Communications Pty Limited 2003)
|